Thursday, January 24, 2008

Fasting and "Orange Pop"

Hello all!

So I went for my sugar test on Wednesday. The purpose of this test is to test for gestational diabetes. The thing I was most worried about with this test... fasting!! I had to fast for TWELVE hours. Now I know that this really isn't that big of a deal but to put things into perspective... Jeff calls me "The Eating Machine"!! I ALWAYS seem to be hungry! So being told that you cannot eat or drink anything but water for TWELVE hours... Yikes!!

To be honest though, it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I sucked it up and stopped eating at 8:30pm the night before (Don't judge me because I eat after dinner! I know you aren't supposed to!!). Unfortunately the clinic I was going to for the test is first come, first serve.
I made it there for approximately 8:45am. It's one of those "take a number and wait" type places... I was number 33... they were only on 21... Joy! Luckily they called the numbers far faster than anywhere else I've ever been with a "take a number and wait" policy.

The test goes like this:

- You are given a 10oz bottle of "orange soda"... I use that term VERY loosely here. Imagine Orange Crush (not bad) with about 100x more syrup (bad). Keep in mind you have to drink this on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning... gag. To top it all off... it was WARM. You'd think that they could keep these things in the fridge to make it slightly more pleasurable. Oh well. I managed to get it all down in the allotted time (5 minutes) even with the burning sensation that accompanied it.

- After you drink the "soda" you have to wait... for an hour! I thought ahead and had a took a book with me. I didn't read much of it though.. I'm a definite people watcher and there were about 25-30 people in the waiting room at all times and there were constantly new people coming in.

- Once your hour is up, they take your blood.

- Test over.

I obviously don't have the test results yet, we do live in Ontario after all!! Hopefully next week at my next OB appointment.

Anywho, Wednesday wasn't all bad (not that the test was really that bad... just unpleasant). That afternoon I had another ultrasound. I LOVE ultrasounds... it is so amazing to be able to see the baby!!

Things are looking good. My cervix is "miles" long according to the doctor... yes, this IS a good thing!! He also mentioned that the baby is measuring long. Jeff says we're going to have a "tall boy... like the beer!" Ha ha

It was confirmed again that we are having a little boy. He is currently sitting with his head up under my ribs and his feet down between my legs (well... it sure feels that way sometimes!!). The doctor thinks that he may still have room to turn but that there is still the chance that he will get stuck with his head up. If that's the case... it means a c-section. So, if you don't mind, send some "baby turning" vibes this way... we DO NOT want a c-section!!

With that I will leave you with a picture of our "tall boy"... it's not the clearest but you can see his profile and his torso really well. And before you ask, I believe it's his hand that is sitting above his tummy... you can sort of see the knuckles.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I still dont understand why you had to fast... I didnt have to fast when I did that test with Emma, and I dont have to fast this time either... I think they are being very mean to you:)

My baby turning vibes are on their way!! maybe you should eat some sugar and the baby will start doing some flips...lol

Good Luck

P.S. Love the ultrasound and belly pics! Keep'em comin!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Ultrasounds are so much clearer these days...Looks like he has a Timpson nose.